If you want to get signed to a record label you have to be willing to work hard.
Major and independent record labels are businesses. They need to make money. They want to buy smaller businesses.
Like it or not, you and your band is a small business.
If you’re not making money then record labels are less likely to sign you.
To get signed to a record label you have to act like you already are.
Record labels want to see that you already know the ropes. They want to see that you have experience touring, performing, producing records (CDs, tracks, albums) and that you’re in it for the long haul.
Making it in music and getting signed to a label deal is an investment. Both from you and the record label.
You will have to sacrifice time, money and a normal social life. Forget about hanging with friends every weekend. You have work to do.
To get signed requires full dedication and commitment. Most do not have these qualities. Most people quit after very little effort.
If you don’t quit you will soar past your competition.
5 Things To Do Now To Get Signed To A Record Deal
- Write Songs Every Day – This is something that most will not do. You need to be writing every day even when you don’t feel like it. Most of your songs will probably only be “okay” but you will get better if you focus on refining your craft and do it every day.
- Book Gigs Every Day – Booking gigs every day sounds like overkill but you need to do it. You need to be performing on a regular basis. Record labels are going to want to come and see you. More money is made from touring than from album sales in this new world of music we live in so you need to have a great performance.
- Practice Your Instrument Every Day – This should go without even mentioning but you would be surprised how many people don’t practice. A professional practices until he can’t get it wrong. An amatuer practices until he gets it right once. Would you want a doctor operating on you if he didn’t practice beforehand? Be professional!
- Promote Your Music Every Day – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc… spread the word every day. Offer something cool to your fans. Connect with other bands and win over their fans. Be likeable and stay connected with fans and potential fans on social media. Contact blogs and have your music featured. That offers some major cred with winning over new fans.
- Never Quit – I have said this a million times. The truth is, most businesses and bands don’t fail – they quit. They quit before they are fully developed and their product is ready. Keep plugging away. Keep contacting venues. Keep promoting your music. Keep writing songs. Keep winning fans over. Never stop.
When you do these simple 5 things you will be way ahead of most other bands and artists. It will put you on the track to get signed to a record label.
In the meantime, you will building your own nice music business and may even decide you don’t want to be signed. You’ll do it yourself.
Now, how bad do you want success? Bad enough to actually treat it like a full-time job?
How GigFaster Can Help
Promote your music, work hard, hustle and use tools that will make your job easier. Set yourself up for success.
We have a built-in network of over 6,000 venues, music promoters, and record labels. We can help you distribute your press kit and book gigs in cities all around the country.
Start for free today.
Remember, if you want to succeed, never quit!
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST: