Learning how to be your own music publicist is not hard.
In fact, by the time you hire a music publicist you should be well aware what they do and what to expect from them.
Before you learn how to be a music publicist yourself, first you need to understand exactly what is involved.
What is a Music Publicist?
Music publicists use public relations skills and media knowledge to help a musical artist maintain his or her desired public image. Their duties may include helping to market the artist’s work, representing the artist through press releases, arranging for interviews with the media and writing speeches. [ref: study]
Basically, a music publicist is in charge of spreading the news about you as an artist.
They make sure your “product” is consistent and your “message” is clear.
Music publicists will contact media press outlets including music blogs and music reviewers.
They market you so that you can build your fan base.
The goal of marketing is to “sell”.
Now, if you can’t sell yourself then chances are a music publicist will not be of much help.
Before you hire a music publicist you need to learn how to market your music (product) yourself.
Here are 5 ways to help you get started marketing and promoting your music today.
5 Steps To Being a Music Publicist
- Know Your Product – You need to know the product inside and out. The music, the message behind the product, the image, and how you want to be seen by the public and media.
- Be Unbiased – When you look at your product – your songs, image, music, etc, look through the eyes of a fan. Is this something they can connect with? Is it relatable?
- Change as Necessary – If something isn’t working then fix it. If you hear the same feedback more than once then use it to make your product better.
- Promote to the Best Places – Be selective where you promote your music. Don’t randomly submit to every blog in the universe. Submit your music to music reviewers and music blogs that match your genre. Start with small indie blogs. Go for the low hanging fruit and use that as momentum to get press on the bigger outlets.
- Never Quit – Rarely is anyone an overnight success. Pretty much no one is. Be in it for the long haul and don’t get discouraged. Never quit but instead find more places to promote your music.
Continually tweak your product and you will find success.
They didn’t build Rome in a day and 99.9% of musicians didn’t hit it big overnight.
The stars you see at the top did one thing… they never quit.
How GigFaster Can Help
Need places to promote your music to? We created GigFaster so that you can reach verified music blogs and music reviewer contacts.
Send your music to hundreds of music publications of all styles.
We have a built-in network of over 6,000 venues, music promoters, and record labels.
Start for free today.
Remember, if you want to succeed, never quit!
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST: